Hope

honestly, I couldn't even go there
if I did, I risked shattering emotionally
into a thousand million pieces
so I stayed semi-numb
and in vague denial
until I couldn't avoid it anymore
until the truth was so clear that I couldn't breathe
until I had to put the car over because my legs went to rubber
and I couldn't feel the pedals
it is like suddenly not knowing which way is up
the moment you realize that reality cannot be avoided
any
more
but I did not shatter
I cried
and my heart sunk to my very feet
and my whole life flashed before my eyes
but I did not shatter
I did not shatter
and the surprise of that
is what gave me just enough hope
to will myself to take just one more step
and then one more step
toward a new unknown life
and even though fear and loss crippled me
making it nearly impossible to drag my feet forward
I was able to to get there
(whether I wanted to go there or not)
I was facing the horror of my life
dead in the eye
and I did not die

~C


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

and he wonders

Gut Feeling

finding you in everything